America Talks Conversation Guide
Welcome to your America Talks conversation! Let’s get started:
- Say hello to your conversation partner and agree how long you’ll speak
- The guide is set up for 50 minutes, but you are welcome to spend more or less time
- Allow 10 minutes at the end to click End Conversation and complete your experience
Review Conversation Norms (1 minute)
Please choose one of you to read these norms aloud:
- Listen with curiosity
- Speak from your own experience
- Connect with respect
Get to Know Each Other (9 mins)
Please take turns answering these questions:
- Where are you joining from today?
- Why did you want to be here today?
Go Deeper (25 mins)
Take turns discussing each one of the questions below, in order. Try to cover all three:
- What are your hopes or fears for your family, community or country?
- What is something that people get wrong about you or what you believe, and what do you wish they knew instead?
- What is a challenge in your community or a local or national issue that you care about and how did you come to care about it? How does it affect you and people you love?
Achieve a goal together (10 mins)
Please work together to identify a shared wish for America. We ask each of you to write it down, so you can share it at the end to inspire others. Then, take turns answering this question:
- What can you do in your own community to make this wish a reality?
Say Goodbye + Final Step