A Weekend of Connection in the Midst of Deep Division
June 12th & 13th, 2021
Why America Talks?
In America today, it can feel difficult to bridge our divides. We might feel tempted to give up or not even try. But this puts America on a shaky path, as we increasingly demean, demonize, and dehumanize each other. Political gridlock and dysfunction, as well as societal and cultural rifts, are only deepening.
America Talks is a powerful two-day event that invites Americans to connect one-on-one, face-to-face on video across our political divides. By doing so, we remind ourselves that the “other” is – just like us – a person with family, friends, hopes, fears, values, beliefs, and intrinsic worth.
One simple conversation, even if multiplied thousands of times, won’t transform our country. But it’s a start.
Join this powerful event and speak directly with other Americans seeking to repair divides, restore connection, and find common cause.
1. Answer a few questions so you can be matched with a conversation partner
2. IMPORTANT! Complete two-step verification requests (email and cell phone number)
3. Watch your email for details about how to join the event on Saturday, June 12*
4. At 10 am PT / 1 pm ET on June 12, click your America Talks link to join our short livestream kickoff
5. After the livestream, join your conversation partner in a breakout room for about an hour
*Can’t make it on Saturday, June 12? No problem! Join our backup event on Sunday, June 13 at 10 am PT / 1 pm ET. Details will be shared before the event weekend.
Face-to-Face Conversations Repair Divides.
Experts cite realtime, face-to-face conversation as highly effective, dismantling the biases, prejudices, and stereotypes that fuel division.
How many people on the “other side” have you had a meaningful conversation with recently?